With Christmas fast approaching, the cold setting in, and the distant sound of carol singing getting ever louder, I decided it was time to collate a list of my top 5 thing to do in Newcastle this this festive season.
As a fresher I’m still getting into the swing of a Newcastle Student Christmas so wanted to share the things I’ve done so far and those I’m looking forward to most with you:
- The International Christmas Market: You’ve most likely already seen the bustling market at the foot of Grey’s Monument. But, if you haven’t, it is well worth a wonder down to look at the twinkling lights, Christmas Tree shop the many food stalls and all the other magical stalls set up.
- Hadrian’s Tipi: Situated just of the main market, with heavenly Tipi is filled with a roaring fire, cosy fur rugs and happy laughter. It is the perfect place to have your first mulled wine of the season or snuggle up with a hot chocolate. There are even a few small stalls around it, which are perfect to wonder amongst.
- Seeing Santa and having a singsong at Grainger Market: This legendary student haunt is turning totally Christmas crazy this 1st of December. You can kick start your late night shopping as the market will be open from 5pm-10pm. With live music, dancers, sing-a-longs, lots of shopping offers and of course a visit from Santa himself.
- Centre for Life Ice Rink: It is time to put on your skates (and your knee pads if you’re anything like me), wrap up warm and head down to the Centre for Life where there’s a fabulous Ice Rink set up. You can even couple it with a trip to the Science Centre and make a day of it!
- Flatmas/Housemas: This one doesn’t quite count, but a University student Christmas buildup wouldn’t be complete without a flat, or house, Christmas: Dinner/Party/Secret Santa (or all three!). It is the perfect way to spend some time together and get in the Christmas Spirit without breaking the bank.
With all this, and so much more, going on, I think its safe to say it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!