Newcastle is rated highly for student life, however, finding your way around can be daunting when you move to a new city; not knowing the right places to shop or get your favourite food, etc. To help you out, here’s a handy guide to Newcastle!
Where to shop
- INTU Eldon Square: one of the largest city-centre shopping centres in the country, Eldon Square offers a wide array of stores such as Debenhams, John Lewis and even Sainsburys and Wagamamas.
- Northumerland Street: Right next to Eldon Square is Northumberland Street, which offers lots of different shops and stores. From clothing stores to banks and restaurants. You can also get your fresh fruits and veggies along the way.
- INTU MetroCentre: housing over 300 popular high street shops, dining and entertainment, MetroCentre is the ultimate retail destination. You can literally get all your shopping here, from grocery to home decor to personal needs, you name it.
- Grainger Market: amazing for fresh meat, fish, fruits and veg. Browse the mini bazaars for fresh groceries, stone-baked pizza or sweet treats.
- Tesco: luckily, there’s a Tesco express right next to the business school. Handy when you’re pressed for time and just want a bit of grocery shopping on your way home from lectures.
Where to eat
- The Dispensary: located a stones throw from the Business School, The Dispensary offers amazing all day breakfast and brunch. Choose from an extensive menu including vegan options and enjoy the fun, “scientific” theme of the restaurant.
- Quilliam Brothers Teahouse: craving stotties and salads? Head over to Quilliam’s and show your student card to get a discount. Home to around 150 different teas!
- EAT@Newcastle: with 14 locations across campus, EAT is the campus food outlet. They offer different promos for students and allows you to collect points to redeem freebies.
- Uno’s: take a trip to the quayside and enjoy Italian staples at this cosy restaurant. Perfect for a relaxing evening with friends.
- Beirut Lounge: this Lebanese restaurant gives great value for money. Great food and proportions, extensive menu and BYOB! Amazeballs!
- Chilli Padi: Enjoy casual outings with great and authentic Southeast Asian cuisines. Great proportions, price and BYOB too!
- St Sushi: My absolute fave sushi house. Varied and extensive menu, authentic Japanese cuisine and decent price too, whats not to love!
- Finally, with your student card, enjoy 20% off at different restaurants at The Gate such as Pizza hut, Buffet house Zazabazzar, and more. Also get 20% off at Krispy Creme in Metro Centre or Eldon Square.
Getting around Newcastle
- Get discounted travel pass with your student discount. Stagecoach busses run within town and venture out to Sunderland, South Shields, Hartlepool and Teeside, while other bus companies like Go Northeast and Arriva cover routes to Durham.
- The Central Train station located near the city centre is only 12 minute walk from the business school. Catch a 15 minute train to Durham to see the world-famous cathedral, used in the filming of Harry Potter and Avengers!
- Metro (Northeast’s equivalent to London’s Underground) has well located stops spread around the Northeast. The closest is one minute away from the business school, followed by another in the city centre, 9 minutes away. This provides an easy way to get to the airport or out to the coast!
- Lane 7: not just a bowling alley, Lane7 offers pool, ping-pong, mini golf, karaoke and amazing food too. Students get discounts, including £5 bowling games Sunday to Wednesday.
- Shark Club Gastro Bar: less than a minute away from the Business School is a city favourite. Unwind and enjoy amazing cocktails, chicken wings, burgers and fries with great music too.
- Enjoy the best in local, national and international theatre at the Theatre Royale or Northern Stage. Take your student card to the Northern stage Theatre for discounts.
- For movies, head over to the Tyneside Cinema and get 35% discount on standard tickets.
- Always check the Uni’s Webstore for events, sports and competitions at exclusive discounts and irresistible offers.
Now you know where to get what, go enjoy Newcastle. Happy exploring!