Here are some useful top tips that you can use to help you when creating your LinkedIn profile. They will help you to build your network on LinkedIn, get your page noticed by employers and find over 80,000 former Newcastle University students to connect with!
- On average, profiles with a photo are 21 times more likely to be viewed and 36 times more likely to receive messages, so include a photo and ensure this reflects a positive personal brand that presents you as a professional. Resist the urge to reuse a photo from Facebook or Instagram.
- Write a headline that sums up your skills and experience in a couple of sentences, and incorporates keywords, such as the specific area of industry and your current status (e.g. final year business management student seeking…). This will help people to understand your background at a glance.
- Building meaningful contacts will enhance your visibility, so keep expanding your network but always send tailored connection requests.
- If you’re looking to break into a specific industry, follow industry-leading organisations to help build your knowledge and understanding through their content.
- Research a variety of career paths by using the “Find Alumni” This will help to identify over 80,000 former students who have studied at Newcastle.
Paul Campbell, our Global Careers Consultant has recently ran a LinkedIn and Networking session, which you can access here!